Friday, August 24, 2012

Re-interpretation

Your client is preparing to take a hands on test. The instructor explains what needs to be done for prep then walks off. The Deaf client asks you to repeat what was said. So you re-interpret from memory what the instructor said. The instructor walks back and gives you a look that says, "what?" you realize it looks like you are assisting the Deaf client, perhaps helping them cheat.

--what would you do next time to avoid the appearance of cheating?
--if you weren't done with your initial interpretation--perhaps the client needed a lot of expansion--how could you keep the instructor there?
--what are your options?

1 comment:

  1. To avoid the appearance of cheating, first what I do before I begin interpreting is to notify the hearing person about lag time and re explaining thing for clarification.
    If the client needs expansion and I feel like I need to cover my bum, I will simcom as appropriate.
    If possible, I will notify instructor that I am expanding and invite them to be involved.

    ReplyDelete